Monday, June 11, 2012

Summer Saturday in Sag Harbor









I've been traveling and working for the past two weeks, so I've been away from Sag Harbor and my blog. I spent Memorial Day in Ohio. They do things differently outside of Columbus! Memorial Day is an actual holiday. The town where I stayed was completely emptied out. No people in sight. Like a set from The Walking Dead. Which could never be shot in the Hamptons--it's way too crowded here.

So this was the first real summer weekend I've enjoyed at home, and I tried to pack it all in yesterday: I picked my first vegetables at Quail Hill, I bought a loaf of Blue Duck sunflower bread at the farmer's market, I went to a party at Channing Daughters, and I had an ice cream cone at Bay Burger. I brought home the new issue of Edible East End to enjoy before going to sleep.

Tonight, I put my just-picked spinach into a big bowl, added some Israeli couscous, and dressed the combination with green garlic, olive oil, ras el hanout (a spice blend that includes cumin, ginger, cardamom, and pepper--feel free to improvise if you don't have it on hand), and some of my preserved lemon (you can use a teaspoon of lemon zest plus a tablespoon of juice instead). Here is the recipe:

Spinach and Couscous with Green Garlic Dressing
Serves 4

Salt
1 cup Israeli couscous
8 cups baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup  extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped green garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped preserved lemon peel
1 teaspoon ras el hanout
Ground black pepper.

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the couscous and cook until tender.
2. While couscous is cooking, place spinach in a large bowl. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add lemon, ras el hanout, salt, and pepper to taste.
3. Drain couscous and add to bowl with spinach. Pour dressing over spinach and toss to coat.


No comments:

Post a Comment