Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Cinco de Mayo




When I picked up my sixth grader at Pierson this afternoon, she reminded me that it was Cinco de Mayo, and asked if we could get some nachos at the festively decorated Cilantro's (138 Division Street; 725-4555) to celebrate. As I watched her eat them, I decided to make myself a watermelon Agua Fresca to drink while I prepared dinner. Here is the recipe:

Watermelon Aguas Frescas
Makes 2 drinks

1 pound seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/3 cup ice water
4 ounces vodka or tequila (optional, but it is a holiday, after all)

1. Combine the watermelon, sugar, lime juice, and ice water in a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Fill two glasses with ice, add vodka or tequila if desired, and pour agua fresca into each glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment