Monday, September 12, 2011

First Apple Dessert of the Season


I bought more apples at the Milk Pail's farm market stand on Saturday, and last night I used a package of Dufour all-butter puff pastry I had in the freezer (I buy it at Citarella's in Bridgehampton) to make this pretty tart. Here is the recipe:

Puff Pastry Apple Tart
Serves 8

One 14-ounce sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
2 apples (I like sweet-tart Jonagolds or Granny Smiths)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon apricot jam

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Unfold the puff pastry onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and prick all over with a fork. Place in the freezer.
2. Peel and core the apples and slice them into very thin slices. Toss them together in a large bowl with the sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Remove the pastry from the freezer and arrange the apple slices in three rows, overlapping them slightly, on top, leaving a 1 to 1 1/2-inch border all around. Brush the border with the egg.
3. Bake until the pastry is puffed and well-browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately brush with the jam. Let cool, slice, and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lauren, I have so many apples that no one eats, this is perfect. I will then give it to Allura to bring to school. Trying hard to loose weight.

    ReplyDelete