Sunday, April 11, 2010

Amagansett Baguettes


"Amagansett Baguette": Doesn't it just roll off the tongue? After dropping one of the children at a friend's house in that lovely town, I stopped at the recently re-opened Farmer's Market (367 Main Street, Amagansett, 631-267-3894). "Farmer's Market" is a misnomer, since right now you can't buy any vegetables, only baked goods, cheeses, and prepared foods imported from Eli's in the city. BUT--at the back of the store there is a working bakery, where they are producing these beautiful plain, prosciutto, and olive baguettes (notice the artfully tapered ends). I hear that some day soon these breads will be made with flour milled from the wheat being grown by the Peconic Land trust on the acreage just behind the market. The breads were still warm when I slid them into a paper bag to bring them home. Tonight I will slice them and serve with two toppings: Some goat's milk ricotta from Cavaniola's, and the lima beans I cooked this morning (I'll drizzle those with olive oil and maybe shave some Parmesan on top). How many hours until dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment