Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Coming Soon


The mind works in mysterious ways, I find, often returning to thoughts of heritage pork. When I was at Pierson last night, for a warm and welcoming Middle School orientation meeting, I saw this poster for the Pierson High School Musical. After I made a mental note to reserve my tickets online, I exercised my brain, trying to recall the plot of Thoroughly Modern Millie. Something about "gin joints" led me to my liquor cabinet, and ultimately to this recipe. My chops are defrosting in the refrigerator now and I'll marinate them tomorrow morning. So I'll be eating them at around curtain time tomorrow night. Will let you know how they turn out.

Gin-Soaked Grilled Pork Chops
Serves 4


1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup gin
2 tablespoons sugar
3 garlic cloves, smashed
Four 10-ounce bone-in pork rib chops

1. Whisk together the soy sauce, gin, and sugar in a medium bowl. Place the pork chops in a zipper lock bag, add the soy sauce mixture, garlic cloves, and juniper berries, seal, and turn several times to coat. Refrigerate the pork chops for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours, turning once or twice.
2. Remove the chops from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Heat a gas grill to medium. Grill the chops until just cooked through, turning three times and basting with the marinade each time, 18 to 20 minutes total. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment