Thursday, May 13, 2010

Salad in Sag Harbor Getting More Beautiful




When I stopped by Bette and Dale's to pick up salad greens, I was delighted to see that they have begun to include edible flowers in their mix. Not only that, but they are selling nasturtium plants so you can grow your very own edible flowers if you'd like. In honor of the seasonal occasion, I made a lemony herb vinaigrette for my salad tonight. Here is the recipe:

Lemon and Herb Vinaigrette
Makes about 1/2 cup

3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs (I used a mixture of mint, basil, oregano, and thyme)
1/2 small shallot, finely chopped
1/2 small garlic clove, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1. Combine the herbs, shallot, garlic, mustard, honey, and salt in a small bowl. Mix and mash with the back of the spoon to make a paste. Stir in the vinegar and lemon juice.
2. Scrape the herb mixture into a jar with a lid. Add the oil, screw the lid on tightly, and shake until the vinaigrette is emulsified (this reminded me of shaking the Four Seasons salad dressing in its special bottle when I was a kid). Use immediately, or refrigerate until ready to use, shaking again before dressing your salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment