Saturday, July 24, 2010

Some Busy Days, and Back to the Kitchen




Unable to push my way through the crowd in front of Bookhampton on Thursday night, I caught a glimpse of Alec Baldwin but wasn't able to hear him read from Moby Dick. On the one hand I was disappointed to have missed him. But I was pleased and surprised that there was such a large turnout. I had been a little worried that this event would attract fewer people than last week's appearance in Southampton by Jill Zarin from The Real Housewives of New York City. Who knew that this area was host to so many Melville fans? On Friday I turned my attention to the mountains of laundry that emerged from my younger daughter's camp trunk. So I've only returned to the kitchen this afternoon, after a morning trip to Quail Hill. After I washed my cucumbers, tomatoes, arugula, eggplants, and fennel, I was hungry. I had some pita breads left over from last night's dinner, so I split one, spread some mustard on each side, arranged sliced tomatoes and cheddar cheese on top, and broiled my open-faced sandwich until the cheese bubbled. I had some just-picked basil on the counter, so I sprinkled some on top. And isn't the yellow cucumber pretty?

No comments:

Post a Comment