Thursday, February 10, 2011

Parsnip Pops, Salad





Researching a story for Zester on root vegetable cakes, I came across this British wartime photo, of children eating carrot "pops." Since I had some leftover parsnips from the cake I baked this morning, I thought I'd offer parsnip pops to the children as an after-school snack. Let's just say that they were not persuaded to become raw foodists today. I had more luck when I roasted the parsnips and mixed them with chickpeas and the amazing goat feta from Cavaniola's. Here is the recipe:


Chickpeas with Roasted Parsnips
Serves 4

5 parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise if very thick, and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt
Two 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 tablespoon lime juice or more to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss the parsnips, garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, paprika, cayenne pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spread them on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until soft, 20 to 30 minute.
2. Combine the chickpeas, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, parsley, feta cheese, and lime juice in a large bowl. Add the warm parsnips and salt to taste. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment