Monday, January 3, 2011

Celebrating the New Year with Pecorino and Pears


1


I haven't been posting for a while because I've been on vacation in Florence (please don't hate me), returning to the scene of my junior year and re-gaining most of my freshman 10. During the week, I ate delicious Tuscan pecorino cheese several different ways. Yesterday, after a quick trip to the Variety Store (New Year's crowns, 50% off) and the IGA, I stopped in at Cavaniola's for this young-ish Pecorino and a can of their most peppery olive oil to duplicate, if I could, a salad I ate on Tuesday in the Oltrarno:

Salad with Pears, Pecorino, and Walnuts
Serves 4

10 cups baby arugula
3 ounces soft-ish Pecorino cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 large, ripe pear, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
2 or 3 tablespoons best-quality extra-virgin olive oil

Combine the arugula, cheese, pear, and walnuts in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! This looks like just what I need after the season of excess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little olive oil is good, after so much butter!

    ReplyDelete