Monday, January 24, 2011

Party Mix in Tribute to New York Jets




On Friday, my Newsday editor put me on notice that if the Jets won their game against Pittsburgh I'd need to come up with some green-tinged Superbowl recipes. All weekend, fun ideas were popping into my head. So I was bitterly disappointed when our team lost on Sunday night, but not for the reason that everyone else was. When I woke up this morning, I thought I'd give one of my ideas a try anyway. I'll be thinking fondly of the Jets as I munch on my wasabi-nut party mix during the Superbowl (or, more likely, as I watch a Top Chef or Real Housewives of Beverly Hills marathon) on February 6. Here is the recipe:

Wasabi-Nut Party Mix
Makes about 3 cups

2 cups wasabi peas
1 cup honey-roasted peanuts
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Stir together all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Spread onto the prepared baking sheet and bake, stirring every 10 minutes, until dry and crisp, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely on the baking sheet, then transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 1 week before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment