Monday, September 27, 2010

Getting up in the Dark Has its Benefits


I got up early this morning (it was still dark), took the dog for a quick walk in the rain, and took out a box of cereal. But then I saw this leftover bread on the counter, looked at the clock (it still wasn't 5:30 yet), and decided I had time to make myself some apple cinnamon toast before I had to do anything else. It didn't take long. I even had time to read the paper online and post this entry before I woke up the children. Here is the recipe:

Apple Cinnamon Toast
Serves 1 solitary early riser

1/2 tablespoon butter (I used unsalted, but I thought later that salted might have been even better)
1 teaspoon sugar
Pinch cinnamon
1/4 of a small apple (I found a tiny Jonagold in the bag I bought at The Milk Pail awhile ago), sliced very thin
2 slices country bread

1. Melt the butter over low heat in a butter warming pan. Add the sugar and cinnamon and stir to dissolve. Add the apples and cook until they soften, about 3 minutes.
2. Heat the broiler. Lightly toast the bread in the toaster and then arrange the apples on the bread. Drizzle any butter that remains in the pan over the apples. Broil until the sugar on the apples starts to bubble and brown (just a few seconds), remove from the heat, and enjoy with your online paper, since the New York Times won't be on your doorstep for another hour, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment