Tuesday, June 16, 2009

New Bookstore Reminds Me of Cookies







On Sunday I took a stroll over to the new Rizzoli bookstore at the Empire Gallery (197 Madison Street). It was wonderful to page through sumptuous art books in the sunny space. After using the Japanese vintage photo generator and visiting the Whaling museum last week, I am seeing Victoriana wherever I go. At Rizzoli, I went straight for the silhouettes in the Kara Walker catalog, After the Deluge. Of course I was struck by the artist’s use of old-fashioned silhouettes to explore the politics of race and gender. But more than this, I was struck by the coincidence that just the day before I had bookmarked these silhouette cookies, determined to figure out a way to link to them on my blog because they are so extraordinarily beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment