Tuesday, July 21, 2009

IGA Item of the Week


Between my trip to Maine, my dinner party, and my determination to use up my leftovers, I neglected the IGA last week. Now I’m back to my routine (shop, cook, eat, repeat), and once again focussing on what’s on the shelves of my favorite supermarket. Just like King Kullen, Schiavoni’s stocks Kraft and Velveeta slices. But next to the processed “cheese” is something that you won’t find in at the Bridgehampton Commons: Real Cabot cheddar cheese, packaged in slices and ready for grilling. Since I was by myself for dinner tonight (enjoying the solitude—children and husband returning on Thursday), I decided to fix myself a simple grilled cheese sandwich, with a little mustard, on Bread Alone Whole Grain Health Bread. But that’s an item for another day…

Grilled Cabot Cheddar Cheese Sandwich
Serves 1

Two slices of cheese are necessary for a properly cheesy sandwich. If and when we get tomatoes this summer, I’ll add a single thin slice along with the cheese (don’t add too much tomato or your sandwich will get soggy). A tablespoon of butter is enough to keep the sandwich from sticking, but 2 tablespoons will take it to a level of richness that calls for a nice glass of Channing Daughters Scuttlehole Chardonnay.

1 to 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
2 slices white or whole grain bread
2 slices Cabot Cheddar Cheese
1 to 2 tablespoons butter

1. Spread the mustard on one slice of bread, top with the cheese slices, and then the remaining slice of bread.
2. Heat half of the butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add the sandwich and cook, pressing down on it with a spatula once or twice, until the bread is well-browned, 7 to 10 minutes.. Add the remaining butter, flip the sandwich, and continue to cook until the cheese is melted and the second side of the sandwich is browned, another 5 or so minutes. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment