Friday, July 17, 2009

Leftovers Again



We have been living off of the leftovers from Tuesday’s dinner party. On Wednesday we finished the watermelon salad and the grilled sausages. Last night I wanted to use that couscous I bought but never cooked, along with my leftover chicken. I had some tiny, tender zucchini from Tuesday’s trip to Quail Hill that I cooked with some scallions (also from the farm) and butter. Then I tossed it with the couscous (now cooked!), chicken, olive oil, lemon juice (I had used the zest for Tuesday’s potatoes and green beans), a handful of mint, and some toasted pine nuts. Let’s see how many more nights I can go without shopping. I still have half a Robiola cheese and some salami in the refrigerator, salad greens, and an extra baguette in the freezer, so I know I won’t starve.

Couscous with Chicken and Zucchini
Serves 4

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 pound zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 scallions, white and light green parts, chopped
Salt
1 ½ cups water
½ cup low-sodium canned chicken broth
1 cup couscous
1 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken
¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint
¼ cup toasted pine nuts
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Ground black pepper

1. Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, scallions, and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is soft and beginning to turn golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Scrape the vegetables into a bowl.
2. Add the water and broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Stir in the couscous, cover, and remove from the heat. Let stand until the couscous is tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the couscous to the bowl and fluff with a fork. Stir in the chicken, nuts, mint, olive oil, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm, at room temperature, or refrigerate for up to 6 hours and serve chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment