Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Waste Not: Main Street Edition


As I strolled Main Street yesterday in the brilliant sunshine, I noticed how the change in weather had caused piles of free magazines, scarce during the rain, to spring up like weeds all over town. Normally, I would have just hurried by, trying not to think about them as piles of potential trash and litter. But I still had Song Dong's Waste Not exhibit on my mind, so I grabbed two magazines and went home to make something with them. I was surprised by how easy, therapeutic even, it was to fold pages into giant flower petals. In fact, once I got the hang of it, I didn't stop until I realized I had made my way through an entire magazine. Don't my flowers make an entertaining centerpiece for a summer dinner party in the Hamptons? If you'd like to try, click here for a video tutorial.

4 comments:

  1. I just hope you are ready for your piano lesson. I could think of better ways of using your time rather than to make paper flowers like learning the second movement of the Mozart Sonata or starting a new piece entirely. Go play the piano when you are done cleaning up from making flowers, please, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just saying to a friend that I should probably be spending my free time practicing rather than blogging...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't those addicting! You'll have to try making an entire globe. They are so cool when hanging in clusters!

    Thanks for sharing your photos/blog with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't make more until I buy another glue stick!

    ReplyDelete