Saturday, June 19, 2010

Last Night's Dinner: Farm-Fresh Pizzas



I still had some very fresh spinach and some of that delectable baby broccoli rabe from Quail Hill, so last night I decided to use the vegetables on top of pizzas. Taking Jim Leahy's Popeye Pizza as my inspiration, I topped the first round of dough (I used Dan Leader's recipe from Local Breads, but you can use your own) with four ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese and four ounces of shredded Gruyere from Cavaniola's. About 2 minutes before the pizza was done, I piled four ounces of my fresh spinach leaves on top of the cheese, left it in the oven until the spinach was just wilted (about 2 minutes), drizzled it with olive oil, and served. For the second pizza, I drained a can of diced tomatoes, gave them a whirl in the food processor, and spread them on the dough. I scattered my baby broccoli rabe over the tomatoes, scattered four ounces of shredded mozzarella over the broccoli rabe, drizzled the whole thing with olive oil, and sprinkled with sea salt. You can see I baked both pizzas on parchment paper, which made it easy to get them into the oven without ruining them! I placed the parchment on rimless baking sheets, assembled the pizzas on the parchment, and slid them, still on the parchment, from the baking sheet onto a preheated baking stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment